Monday, November 19, 2007

My Daughter is a Christmas Tree


I'm letting Nia have some freedom of expression with her wardrobe. For Sundays I insist on her picking between 2-3 outfits that I've pre-approved, but for other days I've decided to let her throw caution to the wind. Today she looks like a Christmas Tree. She has managed to combine yellow, green, pink, and a sparkly red t-shirt together. She just needs a star on top. My only consolation is that people will think she's my foster child when we're out in public. Just kidding - please don't send me flaming responses.

I've also given her a little freedom in the kitchen....adding coffee to her milk, etc. We're still hiding the salt (behind the peanut butter, remember?)

Yesterday was a good visit with our friends, The Allisons, who have umpteen number of bio kids and Liberian children adopted from Nia's orphanage. Per their daughter who interpreted for us, Nia doesn't understand a lot of what we say, but she is happy to be here. Whew!

I bought a beautiful notebook to record things that Nia would tell us about her 8 years in Liberia. You know, things she'll forget over time. The notebook is still empty. I'll just have my pen handy when the time comes.

13 comments:

Tama said...

She looks great! I love all the colors! Of course I come from an art school background where flashy was fun. I'm getting a little old for it but loving living vicariously through my daughter and her concotions now!

Tama said...

PS...MORE PICTURES PLEASE!!!

Ginger said...

LOL, that's pretty loud! Love those big smiles, that's awesome!

From Five to Eight said...

Angel,
I love the idea of the notebook...I'll try to remember that one. We're adopting 9yr old Marie, 7 yr old Garlayma and 4 yr old Gbanko. I read your blog often...so thankful for your realness to share your struggles and that life isn't a bowl of cherries (at least not right now) Praying for your family. Teresa

thordora said...

Matt she's lovely. She really is. She might be scared but you're doing something right if her smile is that broad. :)

julie said...

great pictures....post some more when you can. She is beautiful, just like everyone else said.
Julie

linda pringle said...

Angel,
It is so great to see beautiful Nia here with you! I loved the postings from Liberia - brought back so many memories. I was all prepared to write down things that Rasheed said also but I had to wait for the longest time before I could understand him. I have a new appreciation for people who adopt older kids from countries speaking different languages.
Linda

Anonymous said...

she looks great and is probably happier picking her own clothes!

Rae said...

Angel,

Apparently I'm the only person who thought this (or is willing to admit it), but I thought she looked like a Christmas tree because of the flash-in-the-mirror immitating the star on top of the tree! Sigh. I guess that's my imagination running away with me again. We have lots of fun allowing the toddlers to choose their outfits too! ;)
Rachel

Matt Pregont said...

Rae! I didn't even notice that flash from the window on her head! It DOES look like a star!
~angel

Matt Pregont said...

Rae! I didn't even notice that flash from the window on her head! It DOES look like a star!
~angel

Doug & Lily Bradley said...

She looks cute! :)
Susan

Missy said...

I have a Christmas tree myself. She is gradually outgrowing her colorful tendencies though. I'll probably miss it when it's gone. I think Nia looks beautiful. Missy