Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Released

Nia has been terrified of Ox, our Chesapeake Bay Retriever/Rottweiler, ever since she first laid eyes on him. She has essentially been a prisoner in our home, watching the other kids through the window while they play outside. This morning one of the kids accidentally let Ox in the house and I heard a shrill scream. I ran to the kitchen to find Nia standing on the table while Ox ate her precious boiled eggs that she had labored over (peeling, chopping, seasoning). After we got him outside she stood at the window and stared longingly for the great outdoors. With much coaxing and reassuring, I was able to get her outside with me. I told her not to run (he'll think she wants to play Chase), and not to scream (he'll think there's a reason he needs to attack her). Just stand still. In a matter of 10 minutes she was throwing his tennis ball, telling him to Sit, and saying Good Boy to him. Amazing. Free at last!

Our other big YAY is teaching her some computer. I've got her on www.starfall.com , which not only teaches her some reading skills, but also gives her a chance to learn how to use the mouse, etc. She's really caught on quick to both.

Tomorrow is the big Thanksgiving Day at Grandmama Peggy's. Looking forward to introducing my family to my daughter.
~angel

No comments: