Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Appetite

Nia can eat so much at one time, you'd think she'd throw up afterwards. This morning for breakfast she had a bowl of rice, a bowl of chili, and 3 fried eggs. One hour later she asked if she could have some Ritz crackers. She'll say, "I'm hungry!" with a whiny pouty voice. Do you have any idea how hard it is to refuse food to a child who has only had bread and rice for the past 5 years?

We have great missionary friends in Liberia who have given us "lessons" in Liberian culture. It's the kind of thing you can't get from a history book, but only from first-hand experience. They said that Liberians only think people are serious if they yell and scream. Otherwise, you probably don't really mean what you say. Well, that explains a lot. Not that I should resort to screaming at Nia, but it helps me understand why she doesn't think I mean what I say. Usually, when I get firm and just a notch or two above normal volume, she begins to obey.

She's starting to read 2-3 letter words, like "me" "see" "eat". She fights doing her reading lesson with me, but I know she feels proud of herself when she reads a word. Since Liberians leave off the last consonants of their words, it's difficult for her to add "d" and "t" to the end of our words. She has a hard time pronouncing them at the end.

1 comment:

Charity said...

I think our daughters are secretly twins!! We really need to talk sometime!!!

Beautiful family Angel!

Charity