Monday, December 31, 2007

Planning

I was given the gift of having the day all to myself today. So, I ran a few errands and ended up at Borders with a notebook and a pen. I have owned Managers of Their Homes (MOTH) for a couple of years now, but have never implemented the schedule. I kinda do it on a looser level than the author suggests. Go to www.titus2.com for more info. I love just about everything else the Maxwell family writes, especially Keeping Our Children's Hearts. Anyway, I also have Managers of Their Chores and have yet to implement that, as well. However, I do feel that I have come up with a manageable system of starting household responsibilities with the kids. We had a family meeting tonight when I got home, and I broke the news that they'd now be helping out around the house a lot more....with good attitudes. It was more of a Come To Jesus Meeting.

I try to write letters to my children on their birthdays to save for when they are older. It's just stuff that describes them at their particular age and what I love about watching them grow up. I had fallen behind on a couple of those, so I accomplished that during my Borders time.

I also browsed through my book called Emotional House. It's good in a zen kinda way. I have gotten a lot of helpful info from it. Just throwing that out there.

Matt and I talked briefly about our past year and all the struggles (moving, adoption, renovating, too much traveling). We agreed that this year we need to focus on our family and home (not House). I'd love to hear routines or ideas that draw your family close or keep the members engaged with each other. Sometimes as a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom it's easy to get isolated and not have a clue what's going on with anyone else.

Hudson, our 5yo son, has started answering his own questions when he talks to us. For example, "Mom, do I have my own bike? No." "Do I look like I want to fall asleep? No." "Did I get to play that game? No.?" "Did I get to run errands with dad? No."

No comments: