Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Accepting Love

Today I had to talk to Nia about hitting her siblings when she's mad or for no reason at all. Just talking to her about this kind of stuff can send her into The Distant Stare and Silent Mode. I was proud that she whispered and apology and asked for forgiveness. That's a HUGE step of progress. After the Forgiveness, she continued with Silence and Distance. She slumped on the kitchen floor (on top of the heating vent for warmth) and just sat. I sat and wrapped 'round her like a pretzel, just rocking her back and forth while she fought me and moaned loudly. After about 10 minutes of this I told her she was gonna help me make muffins. She refused, but I told her she had no choice. So, she sat on a barstool, stirring ingredients, cracking eggs, and crying/moaning the whole time. I just went about my business like everything was fine, making sure to do a one-armed hug every few minutes and rub her back (both of which made her cry louder). It's like she physically hurts when she is touched in a loving way. I just kept telling her that I would always love her no matter what, that I'd never leave her.

Once we got the muffins in the oven, I ran a bubble bath for her. A few minutes of bubbles seemed to help. I know when I feel like crying, a bubble bath always seems like a good idea. She's soaking now and no longer crying. She will probably emerge refreshed with a different view on life. I, however, am thorouthly exhausted from the whole ordeal!

3 comments:

Ginger said...

My goodness, you're a good mom! What a blessing your sacrificial tenacity is to that poor girl! God will bless you a hundred fold for all the love you are sowing into her heart. You will reap a bountiful harvest!!

Matt Pregont said...

Ginger, I'm not always so patient. Yesterday was a different story. I do think, however, that God brought my anger to the surface 8 years ago so that I could work on it before she came home!

Brandi said...

You are a good mom. . with Jesus. you are doing a great job of allowing Jesus to heal her little heart piece by piece through your hugs and reassurances. You are being used by the God of the Universe to heal His daughter. . sit back in awe of that for a moment! What an amazing thing to get to be involved in His work to that level.

Praying for you
Brandi