Sunday, February 10, 2008

As Easy As Riding A Bike

This past weekend Nia learned to ride a bike. She was given one for Christmas from some friendds of our's, and after many false starts she finally took off this weekend. She sits straight as an arrow, like a woman from 1920 would've ridden. She's very pleased with herself, and so are we.

Between the moments of joy are the moments of weeping and gnashing of teeth. Today is the latter. Not sure what's going on, but she fell into a funk right before church and hasn't come out of it yet. The worst part is that she just won't talk, not even to tell us what she's thinking or feeling. She just goes silent or else starts this moaning type of cry. It's almost what you'd expect to hear from someone who just lost a loved one. I'm sure she IS experiencing grief and loss, and maybe that's what this is all about today.

Sometimes I just don't know how to love her well. It's good that God never has that problem with us. He always loves us well.

4 comments:

Missy said...

God is loving Nia through your family. What could be better than that. You are an inspiration. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your honesty and openness, but through it all your willingness to love Nia no matter what shines through.
Love,
Missy

Ginger said...

I know exactly how you feel! In fact, I posted about the very thing recently, related to Maya. She was crying and I was overcome with feelings that I'm not loving her well.
You are doing an amazing job, Angel! You've shown so much wisdom and compassion with the way you've loved her. It just isn't easy. . .at all. But it will be one day. Prayer is your greatest gift to her.

Brandi said...

Oh Angel, That has to ache a mother's heart in a practically indescribable way. I ache with you. I pray that God reveals to you exactly how to love Nia and speak to her heart. He knows what's going on even when she won't tell you. I also echo the girls saying you're doing a great job!

Brandi

Charity said...

Oh Angel, her and Aries are just so alike. I agree, you are an AWESOME mom, and thanks for the kind words the other day. Things are well here for today(smile 1 day at a time)but who knows what surprises tomorrow will have in store!!!

Love,
Charity