Thursday, March 06, 2008

A.M.

This morning I did something I haven't done in 20 years. I got up at 5:15 A.M. to exercise. Yes, it was dark. Yes, it was cold. But I promised my friend last night that I would break in our new YMCA membership bright and early, I mean, dark and early this morning. I envisioned myself being on the treadmill with The Few, The Proud, regarding each other with puffy eyes and a nod. The reality is that by the time I arrived at 5:30A.M., at least 40 people were already breaking a sweat, having arrived when the doors open at 5:00A.M. I felt like I was late by arriving at 5:30A.M. Reminds me of my "mamaw" (yes, I live in the south), who used to "get up with the chickens" and feel like she'd lost a lot of time if she slept in til 6:00A.M.

Who ARE these people? What possesses them to put their bodies through this unnatural routine? Where was the coffee? Will I be one of these people some day? Well, time will tell if I become one of them.

For today, I feel like I need a Star on my chart.

5 comments:

Brandi said...

ugh, I hate getting up that early to work out. . .however, I would say that I am much more able to handle the day with a good workout, seeing the sun rise and having quiet time before I ever see a child!

Praying for you to stick with it! ha ha!

Brandi

Lindsay said...

Well you are certainly getting a star on my chart today. Way to go girl! In fact, in our house, the behavior chart is called the "You Rock" chart and Angel, You Rock!!
Love you girl and love hearing about your brood.

Pregont Family said...

Thank you, girls! I need encouragement!
~angel

Ariel Allison Lawhon said...

Be encouraged! Until you become one of those pencil thin people and then we will just be jealous old curmudgeons! Seriously though, good for you. It seems like the only excercise I get these days is when I push my luck.

Ginger said...

Make it a gold star. You deserve it! :)