Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Being a Mom #422

With Mother's Day fast approaching (May 11th), I thought I'd put in some more quotes from my little book, 1001 Things It Means To Be a Mom.

#422
Being a mom means making sure breakfast gets eaten every morning. Even if it comes out of a cereal box.

Here's our typical breakfast, and please don't send emails about the horrors of it. Breakfast for me is more like a buffet bar. Nobody eats the same thing, and I'm really okay with that.

Frozen waffles, eggs (fried, poached, scrambled), cereal (I have about 40 different choices; okay really only 20), granola bars. I, myself, eat Plain Kefir with Super Seed fiber mixed in, followed by a 1/2 glass of low-sodium V8. Every day.

I've always wanted them to eat a breakfast of oatmeal with flax seed and raisins OR large bowls of granola with low-fat yogurt with blueberries on top because we all know that blue and red fruits are the best for us. It just hasn't happened yet, and, yes, I take responsibility for it as the mom. Oh, the guilt. Oh, the shame. I started out great when I only had 1-2 children. I used to puree sweet potatoes myself instead of buying jarred baby food. Then I had that unfortunate incident of forgetting to put the lid on the blender and scraping sweet potatoes off the ceiling afterwards. Did you know sweet potatoes stain?

Anyway, moving on. Tell me what you feed yourself and kids for breakfast.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

We are a cereal and toast family. I refuse to use any appliances before 10am. I also refuse to have any guilt over this! If anything warm shows up on the breakfast table it's thanks to my fabulous hubby. I do not however allow any sugary cereals, we stick to raisen bran, cheerios, etc...

Ginger said...

Kyle makes breakfast everyday before he leaves for work. Yes, I have it good.
Polenta served like Cream of Wheat, with sugar and coconut oil. Oatmeal with sugar, cinnamon, coconut oil, and maybe molasses. Hard boiled eggs with toast. Those are our options. :D

Weekends are a whole 'nother story. Much more exciting.

Brandi said...

You will get no guilt or shame from me! We are a cereal and bananas family. . .whatever cereal is on BOGO (buy one get one free) that week. . this week? Lucky Charms!

Bran
PS We usually save eggs for dinner!

Ariel Allison Lawhon said...

Oatmeal. Cereal. Scrambled Eggs. Fruit. Yogurt. One of those options usually. Nothin' fancy around this joint.

julie said...

cereal, fried eggs and toast for kids because it takes 10 minutes tops........
slimfast for me!
julie

kim said...

oatmeal (instant), frozen waffles, frozen pancakes or sometimes those that you can make by just adding water, cereal, and even pop tarts on occasion...but I try to keep those out of the house. You'll get no shame form me!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm lazy. I hate to cook breakfast. But cereal doesn't stick with my kids AT ALL. They all beg for a snack by 9:30 if we eat cereal for breakfast. So here's what I do...

About once a month I mix up a "master baking mix" and package one day's worth of biscuit mix into a quart jar (I make 20-30 jars at a time). It takes me about an hour to mix and put the jars together.

When I get up, I have to pour the mix out of the jar, add 1 cup of water, stir and then drop biscuit size lumps of dough onto a baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes and biscuits are ready.

The same day I make the baking mix, I fry about 5 pounds of sausage into patties and freeze them. I pull out one sausage patty for every one, nuke them on a plate for 2 minutes and breakfast is served! There are always more biscuits than sausage, so the left overs are eaten with jelly, or as a snack later in the day.

With just a few minor adjustments, I can also use the biscuit mix to make pancakes. But that means I have to stand at the stove for 20 minutes frying pancakes---blech! I've also used it to make waffles which isn't too bad, but it still takes a LOT longer than biscuits. Biscuit mix also makes pretty nifty dinner rolls in a pinch--the kids like it when I add cheese :-)

~Michelle

Michelle said...

Usually it's all about frozen waffles here at my house, of the blueberry variety. Granola bars for Matthew if he wakes up late. Bananas, bagels, whatever's-on-sale-cereal. The weekends I usually will make homemade waffless or pancakes (my boys require chocolate chip pancakes...even the 35 yr old boy). I usually have leftover batter, so I freeze it in a ziploc. Then for a quick meal I defrost it, clip the corner of the bag and squeeze away.
Bacon is a very, very, very special treat. Oh, just typing it's name makes me long for a strip.
As for me...gosh...I'm lucky to slip anything in before lunch. I know, that's very bad, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It's also the busiest time of my day!