Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Talent Show

This morning I went into Nia's room around 7:15am. She's usually the first one up and so I wanted to see if anything was wrong since she hadn't done her morning ritual of slamming a few doors and flipping on lights.

So, there she sat on her bedroom floor in the middle of fabric, thread, and dolls. She was just putting the finishing touches on a SUIT she had made for one of her dolls. This suit involved a short-sleeved jacket and matching skirt. It fit like a glove. She's going to sew it some underwear after breakfast.

Her talents abound so much that I don't know which ones to foster. Should we put her in a formal soccer league? Should I sign her up for sewing classes? Should I enroll her in Beauty School because she can do black hair better than most adult black women? Should I sign her up for cooking classes? Should I encourage her to pursue her gift of drawing? And she's also developed an interest in gardening. And baseball.

Clearly, you see my dilemna.

On a different note, I woke to the sounds of my electric sweeper Sunday morning around 6am. I walked into Nia's room to see her holding the sweeper oblivious to a house-full of sleeping people. In my morning stupor and frustration from losing valuable minutes of sleep I said, "NIA! What are you doing?" You have to say this with in a loud whisper voice with lots of irritation and accusation and wrinkle your face up in disgust. Go ahead, try it.

"Ma, today is Mudder's Day. I clean my room for you." It was spotless. Narry a dust bunny to be found. I, of course, crumpled into a heap of surprise, guilt, shame, remorse, happy, self-loathe, scum-eating, thankful Never Winning Mother Of The Year for having jumped to conclusions about her motives. Motherhood is such a sanctifying job.

9 comments:

Kori said...

We both go to Fellowship but don't know each other - although I think you bought a cozy coupe from me a while back. I just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog. I love your authenticity and seeing a real mom with real struggles all while maintaining a great sense of humor. You are an incredible woman! I had to fight back the tears when I read the story of Nia cleaning her room. I know you have shared the struggles of how hard things can be with her - but there is no doubt that you are reaching her little heart in some big ways.

Missy said...

i just love nia. a few of the kiddos in our little adoption circle have stolen my heart, and she is one of them
missy

Pregont Family said...

Kori,
Yes! I did get a cozy coupe from you. Tell me your last name, # kids, etc.
~angel

Pregont Family said...

Missy, Thank you for loving Nia. She struggles with her new identity as Daughter and Sister, as opposed to Orphan.
~angel

Kori said...

Hey Angel - my last name is Meyers and I have 2 girls - Reagan is 6 and Elliott turns 5 next week. We have been at Fellowship for the last 4 years and were there a few years before that when they met at Franklin High. I was in Mom's Together for a long time but didn't sign up this year - started grad school about a year and a half ago. I just restarted a blog I tried to start a while back, too. Not sure if I will keep it going but it has been fun so far if only to talk to myself - haha.

Michelle said...

I simply can not wait to meet your American Idol. This story made my heart smile, Angel. Nothing says, "Happy Mother's Day" like a 6 am vacuum. HA! Love it...

Brandi said...

Oh you know how I love this kid! What amazing talents! and so many! What a wonderful daughter. . you are reaping blessings from hard work and not giving up what God called you too. I can't even wait for a post 10 years from now and what a godly young woman Nia will be. . .

Brandi

Melodie said...

Wow...that's so wonderful that you can see the talents so early. Nia is very gifted. I think what you are doing is great. Hair-braiding her dolls hair and her sister's hair will be enough to maintain her skill. Sewing- supply her with the tool she needs, but it sounds like she has the motivation to keep it up. The soccer is something social that bonds her to her brother and is an event for the family. So I like it that you have her on a team. Cooking? Just include her in the kitchen with you.

Basically Angel, I think you are already doing exactly what is right for her. As she gets older one at a time she'll get obsessed with one thing her the other (my brother with gardening from age 12-18, me with cooking from age 15-18) and grow in leaps and bounds in that area. But for now, she just needs to have little bits of everything going on.

How sweet to see Nia actually thinking of YOU and doing something special on Mother's day. What a good way to be humbled!

Pregont Family said...

thanks for all your comments. I feel honored to have such a great group of people cheering me on!
~angel