Saturday, June 14, 2008

Feelings, Woa, Woa, Woa Feelings....

Each night at supper we usually ask the kids what their favorite part of the day was. We've mixed it up lately and are asking them how they are feeling. Here are their choices:

Anger, Fearful, Hurt, Shame, Guilt, Lonely, Glad, Sad

Tonight Jacob said he was feeling Fearful. Fearful because of the man who was shot Friday night at the church where I lead Bible study. This led into a conversation about people being killed in Liberia. I'll never know this side of heaven what Nia's young eyes have seen, and what she does reveal to us is just w-a-y too much for anyone to bear. What she shared prompted Clive, 7yo, to excuse himself from the table and go pray on the front porch for Liberians. Later, he came into my bedroom for a "private talk" and told me he wanted to give his Bible to someone in Liberia. He pulled a Bible from a Kroger bag and handed it to me. He said he wants people there to learn about Jesus. My soul sings!

We did address Jacob's fears of being shot, by the way. We talked about how most people who get shot in our neighborhood are involved in illegal activities and generally hang around bad people. I've taught the kids to say this whenever they are afraid, "What time I am afraid, I will put my trust in You." (Psalm 56:3) I use it myself from time to time.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Can I just say that I think you guys are great parents? You are shepherding your children's hearts to run to the Father. . .I know it must feel overwhelming sometimes knowing just bits of Nia's woundedness, but He knows. . and He chose you!

Love,
Brandi