Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Name That Feeling

During one of our recent Feeling Checks at supper, Nia shocked us all by actually saying something other than, "I don't got no feelings." She'd had a particularly rough day accepting the fact that her dad bought her brother a baseball without telling her ahead of time. Her response to this took up at least half the day before she could move on.

So, when her turn came at supper to say how she felt, she said, "I feel guilt and shame for being jealous this morning." Good grief!! This is huge!! She's never so much as admitted anything wrong unless pressed by us to do so. We tried not to react by falling out of our seats, but insteada to remain calm and say, "That's great, Nia. Thank you for sharing. Do you feel your guilt starting to go away now?"

This was such a gift to me because I wasn't sure she had really heard any of my words earlier in the day. I wasn't sure anything was connecting with her.

4 comments:

Missy said...

She is making huge strides. Praise Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lord! A break through FINALLY!! Keep up the good work Angel and Matt. You are getting through to that precious little soul of hers!

Michelle P.

Starla said...

What a great post! So happy to hear that she is taking a step forward. You guys are doing a great job, keep up the hard work of being a parent.

Starla

Sara said...

WOW!!! That is amazing!!! Incredible, Angel!!! I'm soooooooo happy! I know this will wax and wane, but it's huge progress no matter how you slice it!! I wish I could express my feelings that well!