Friday, June 13, 2008

Reality

Reality of my neighborhood hits home every now and then. Yesterday at 5:10pm I was sitting on my front porch and clearly heard 5 gunshots. Sure enough, sirens quickly followed. A 23yo male was shot in the parking lot a block from our house at the church where I lead a bible study. I drove over and found yellow tape blocking the entire intersection, police cars everywhere, and a news van on the scene. Apparently, it was a drive-by shooting. I don't think the guy died, but the fact that this was done in broad daylight at the corner of the park with intentions to kill is unnerving.

We need these reminders to be cautious of suspicious-looking people and cars in our 'hood. When we moved here a year ago I lived on High Alert all the time. Admittedly, I've relaxed some and needed this reminder. I don't think we should live in fear 24/7, but just live smart.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Angel, this is terrifying. Did you ever explain why you guys chose to move to that neighborhood? I know you said you were going to at some point and I'm not sure if I missed it or not. Would love to hear the tale.

Please, please, please be careful.

Missy