Saturday, June 14, 2008

Why We Moved Here

When we sold our house in January of 2006 and decided to rent for a year, our goal was to find a nice chunk of land on which to build our dream home. This would be home our kids would come home to on college break, bring their spouses to, and someday their children. We'd have a pond, a great big swingset, and lots of other country fun for the whole family.

So we set out looking. We had fun tromping around wilderness pieces of property creating memories of our kids exploring the wild. But nothing worked out. Nothing.

After living in our rental for about 9 months, God started changing our hearts. We'd read some Randy Alcorn books, like Dominion, about inner city living. We'd talked to friends who already lived in the inner city and were drawn to their daily plight. I read a book called And You Call Yourself a Christian by Robert Upton (I think the title has since been changed). And so God was planting the seed in our hearts towards living in the inner city. We were hooked. We bought a house that was 107 yrs old at the time and had been converted into a quadplex for the past 50 years. And so the renovation began....

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I LOVE this! I know it's not all glory and fun, but it is SO kingdom work! What a ministry you guys must have just in relationships with the families and children around you. . .

I used to work in an innercity ministry. . .one of the little boys came to know the Lord and was kind of adopted by our family. . years later his mom came to the Lord. She just started a blog of her ministry in her community and it is precious. . I thought I'd share it with you http://msamyc.blogspot.com/ PS Scroll down a bit, the first post is interesting!!

Love your heart!!! Thank you for your service!

Brandi

Missy said...

Thanks for sharing this. I hope I didn't come across as nosey, but I knew it had to be a good God story.
Missy