Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Love Hunger

We're all born with Love Hunger. Babies in orphanages who are only fed bottles without being held have a greater chance of dying than those babies who are held, hugged, and cuddled while being fed. It's part of our survival.

There have been times when I've felt like Nia must have been born without that Love Hunger. Seems like she fights any affection and love we offer to her. And she really doesn't return any towards us.

Last week I had another Come To Jesus Meeting with her because her behavior had gotten out of hand. The attitude of jealousy, ungratefulness, pride, superiority had reached a climax. I just can't ever tell if I'm getting through to her when we have these talks.

So, I was putting her to bed with the usual kiss on the forehead, followed by I Love You, Nia. I started to leave the bedroom listening for her standard, "Good Night." But instead she said, "Good Night. I love you." I hesitated at the door, turned and smiled at her. I was so taken aback that I didn't know what to do! She has only ever said this one time before, right after she came home 9 months ago. That's it.

It didn't happen the next night. Or the next one. But tonight it happened again. And I just fell completely apart right there and then. I simply put my hand on her shoulder and wept. She DOES have Love Hunger. And so do I.

8 comments:

Brandi said...

That is precious. . a precious gift from the Father. I will be praying for you guys anew tonight.

Brandi

Pregont Family said...

thanks, brandi. Nice hearing from you!
~angel

tnhillbillytoo said...

Praise God! I'm glad to hear she is slowly letting down the walls.
~Michelle

kim said...

That is wonderful Angel...

Ariel Allison Lawhon said...

Well darn, I'd made it this long today and hadn't cried (a major feat for a pregnant lady I might say).

Peter & Becky Bowersox said...

Wow! We stuggle with the fact that Joshua almost never says that, but I can't imagine how much more overwhelming it is for you to hear those words. Joshua is at least physically affectionate, but Nia... Wow!! Hooray!

Becky

Michelle said...

Praise God! Such great news. Beautifully written, as always.

Starla said...

What a special week for you...to hear those words twice. I pray that it will just be one more step in her tearing down the walls around her heart. Janelle, after 11 months, still protects the walls around her heart, too.
Will you be at the reunion in November?
Starla