Saturday, September 06, 2008

School




We've been back in our homeschooling schedule for 3 weeks now. The first week there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth. I am thrilled to finally have an actual school room this year with absolutely everything I need contained in one place. No more kitchen table schooling, no more bookcases in the hallway, no more maps on the kitchen wall.

Jacob is 3rd grade, Clive and Nia are 2nd, and Hudson started Kindergarten. The older the kids get, the more time it will take to do school each day because the level of difficulty increases in their subjects. At some point I'll need to hire tutors when the subjects surpass my knowledge. For example, I don't know Spanish, but we can use Rosetta Stone on the computer up to a point. I'm also not very good in Science.

My biggest challenge is trying to make up for all the lost lessons that Nia never got. As parents we teach our children things from Day One that we don't we realize we are teaching. We lay building blocks of knowledge that later prepare them for math and reading. When a child like Nia doesn't get that foundation, it makes teaching so much harder because I didn't ever consciously teach my others what they needed to know. They naturally learned sorting, grouping, matching, counting, language, etc. Nia has difficulty understanding the value of numbers. She doesn't know which is greater, 5 or 8. She doesn't understand that if I add 1 to 7, then I have 8. The other day I had her lay out 50 numbered cards from 1 to 50 in order. It took her 30 minutes and several tries. It just hasn't clicked that there's a pattern to the numbers that continues over and over. Since I like math and took lots of it in school, I feel like beating my head against the wall sometimes when we spend 10 minutes on 2+3. Just another opportunity for me to grow, I guess.

Otherwise, Jacob and Nia start their golf lessons next week (check out First Tee; it only costs $20 for 8 lessons). Awana has started back, and my Precept Bible Study kicked off, too. Our schedules got full in a matter of days. Keeping margin in this family is a constant struggle. If we didn't monitor our activities, we'd be on the go constantly without any Down Time.

2 comments:

Ariel Allison Lawhon said...

slight jealous of your school room...I'm still at the kitchen table

Erin said...

love your school room. i've got the table and chairs to go in our future school room that i got from freecycle here in county galway, ireland. just waiting for the space to set it and everything else up in some day.